Purgatory

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

Friday, January 13, 2006

History

It’s a funny one isn’t it?

I don’t have much family, my mother, father and sister are it. We don’t talk to anyone else for lots of reasons, most of them admittedly, are pretty silly.

Anyway, like most people I’ve come to a point where I’m interested, curious if you will, about the family heritage, where we came from, what’s lead us here etc. To my surprise I managed to dig up some pretty interesting stuff.

As it stands, I’ve always had an obsession with the eastern world, I love the lifestyle and people of the east. India, Nepal, Malaysia and china have always been my favorite places. I’ve always felt drawn to them. So imagine my shock when I came across an old photo album in the loft that was stuffed with pictures of my great granddad and his father surrounded by Asian people.
To my knowledge no one in our family had ever been further than Spain until I took up the traveling boots so this piqued my interest enough for me to quiz my dad on the subject.

It turns out that my great granddad and grandma (below) owned and lived on a cotton plantation in Kuala Lumpur and were phenomenally rich.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Apparently he was a Scotsman who served in the army and got a placement over there, he then preceded to fall in love with the country and stayed there to start his family. I also found out that my grandfather was born and raised in Malaysia and only moved back here with my great grandmother when his dad died.

I particularly liked the picture I found of my grandfather as a child at school. If you can’t spot him (?!) he’s the eighth one from the left on the back row.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Not that this has anything to do with my working class upbringing and supremely bland lifestyle, but it just struck me as sort of odd. It’s a region of the world that I’ve always been inexplicably drawn to, and it turns out that I’m not the only person in my family to have ever felt this way.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My grandfather, his brother, sister and their nurse. It just goes to show that sometimes it really is worth being nosey.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I had browsed through your blog "accidently". To my surprised to know that you are interesting towards the estern countries, even my country-Malaysia and your family history also have the connection with this little place!Do you had been here before? Wish you will have a trip to here one day^-^ and wish you will like it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home