Purgatory

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Living in the country that dreams of made of.

I’m privileged, lucky if you will, to live in such a country as England, the United Kingdom. If I’m sick, the state will care for me, if I need educating, the state will pay for me, and if I find myself suddenly homeless, jobless and on the streets, the state will provide for me. So why, if I have all these privileges, do I feel so ashamed to be called British on this day?

What I once saw as a proud and noble country, I now see as the lap dog to a greater power.

The first time I ever voted, I voted for new labour. I’m not ashamed to admit it. I was young and voting was a big step into the world of adulthood for me, the fact that I wasn’t educated enough to make the right decision didn’t phase me, I just wanted to vote.

But now, now is a different story. It seems that every time I turn on the television or read the newspaper, I wince as another sordid tale of corruption or shake my head at another government blunder is revealed.

The most recent events that come to mind are;

  • The revelations that paedophiles have been cleared to work in our schools.
  • The release of hundreds of foreign criminals back into British society when they should have been deported.
  • Family tax credits being miscalculated resulting in £2 billion worth of overspending (and the government has the audacity to ask people to pay it back! Do the calculations right first time)
  • Labour ‘rewarding’ donors with peerages
  • NHS having to cut jobs (What?)
  • The rarity of NHS dentists (also known as the NHS dodo)
  • Old two jags affair with his secretary (oh dear lord was she blind deaf and stupid?)
  • Crime, crime, crime and more crime. Criminals released early to re-offend, people on probation committing murder, light sentencing..

I could go on and on, but you get the point. It’s all just sleaze and incompetence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home