Purgatory

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

Friday, April 28, 2006

I'm a student of Religion

As an introduction (after all this is my blog and I wish to be neither faceless or nameless) let me explain. I am not a religious fanatic, I do not believe in God and no doubt if he did exist, he wouldn’t believe in me. I consider myself an atheist but it’s a classification that is subject to change.

When I was small my parents asked me if I wanted to be christened, I said no. I don’t know why I said no or why my parents accepted my decision; after all, my sister was christened and conformed and my parents both are stead fast believers in their own visions of God. Since then I’ve been intrigued by religion, I’ve read about it, studied it, travelled across to world to see it in it’s different guises, and yet still I’m no closer to understanding why I said no.

For some reason people find it hard to accept that any one can be an atheist, that someone can be completely solid in their absolute disbelief of creator and superior being. I often get the word agnostic thrown in myself as people criticize my stand point and try to change my mind.

“You don’t not believe in him, you just can’t prove it either way”

I don’t believe. In some respects this has made my studying much easier, it’s given me a broader view and a clean slate. I can approach any god I want to because to me any god is no god. Once upon a time I used to think that maybe it was because there was a plan for me, for some reason I was cursed with an inability to believe in the almighty because it was my purpose on earth to do something else. The stupidity of youthful thoughts had me chasing my tail.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:34 am, Anonymous buy runescape gold said…

    what a wonderful discover -- are unable to wait to see everything you a pair of come up with! runescape gold for sale

     
  • At 7:56 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love read, this is an excellent articleYou've made several excellent points there. My spouse and i checked online to find rei ayanami costume out more in regards to the problem and discovered most individuals should go as well as your views on this site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home