Purgatory

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Terror in London

This is an extract of a conversation i had with somone on a forum i belong to;

Are the British too easy going with terrorism?
Some people have suggested they are happy to take it up the ass.
Not for them to get angry and do anything about it.
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Sometimes I think it’s a bad thing, but in times like this, I think it’s a good thing. I found an American view of the bombings which I found quite interesting.

Having always heard about the British behaviour during the German bombing of London, the so-called “blitz,” I wondered what would happen today after news broke of the four bombs in the London subway and buses. Sure enough, there was no panic. There was even some stoic humour from the thousands who had to walk as public transportation ground to a halt.

I love it, I really love it, the fact that we, as a nation of people, can ‘take it up the ass’ if you will and just get on with our lives. To me that is what being British is all about, cracking a joke despite being surrounded by shit. It’s about getting on with it regardless, never letting people know that they’ve hurt you and retaining a sense of humour no matter what.

I’ve been listening to the news all day and the one thing that really struck home with me was when Mark Easton started to explain what he’d seen in the early hours. He stated how calmly people had reacted and how it was as if ‘they had managed to suck the terror out of terrorism’ – and that’s the key point. If people know they can scare you, make you afraid, then they win. British people don’t do that, collectively they put on a brave face and if that makes us weak, then who the hell knows what it takes to make us strong.

We will not be intimidated.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home